Reading Assistant Plus
Reading Assistant Plus is a guided oral reading instruction program that uses speech recognition technology to listen to your child as he/she reads aloud, building overall reading proficiency, fluency, and comprehension — without any frustration!
- Reduces the homework struggle: Many learners use Reading Assistant Plus to complete their school’s daily reading requirement, which drastically reduces the homework struggle for parents!
- Improves reading fluency and comprehension: Your child can improve his/her reading level 50% beyond expected gains.
- Provides an unbiased listener to reluctant readers: Sometimes struggling readers don’t like to have their parent or teacher listen to them, but Reading Assistant Plus provides a fun way to practice reading aloud, with no judgment!
- Vocabulary instruction and reading comprehension practice activities
- Selections from more than 300 reading passages at a range of reading levels, from grades 1-12
- Non-fiction and fictional texts across genres:
- Expository nonfiction
- Realistic and historical fiction
- Science fiction
- Folktale, myth, legend
- Personal Narrative
- And more!
A struggling reader spends a lot of energy sounding out words, leaving not much room for comprehension. Your child needs to decode fluently to understand what he/she is reading, but often doesn’t build this automaticity through independent reading alone.
- Fluency is the ability to read accurately, expressively and with good phrasing in order to comprehend what you read.
- It’s not about reading fast.
- “Guided oral reading instruction” (where a listener is helping and correcting in real-time) is the gold standard for building fluency; this is what Reading Assistant Plus provides.
Children ages 6+ who need an individualized guided reading program that will progress according to their own responses.
The read aloud program can be used through a Chrome web browser, and must be used with an approved microphone headset.
Dr. Fagan will provide all set up and program assistance.